Google Hangouts makes online meetings and conversations very easy, but sometimes you need to distance yourself from specific people. Some people can be too rude or rude and make you want to block them.
Fortunately, you can block people on the Google Hangouts website and in the Android and iOS apps. Read the instructions for blocking and unblocking on all supported devices.
How to block in Google Hangouts Mobile
If you use Hangouts on Android or you should know that you can block anyone who bothers you or causes problems. The instructions are the same for iOS and Android devices:
- Launch the Hangouts app on your mobile device.
- Open the conversation window.
- Select More in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then tap People.
- Select who you want to block and tap Block User.
- Finally, confirm your action with the block.
How to block on Google Hangouts for PC
You can block people on the Google Hangouts website through any internet browser on your computer. Follow the instructions to block:
- Open the Google Hangouts. web page and log in.
- You will be taken to the “Conversations” tab.
- Select the person you want to block from the list of conversations.
- Then select the Settings option in the conversation with that person.
- Select Block or Report them.
- If you prefer, you can also select the Report checkbox if you think the person in question has gone too far.
- Confirm your choice.
We’ll give you more information about blocking and reporting in the next section.
Blocking Google Hangouts
Before you start blocking people on Google Hangouts, you need to know how it works. First, you won’t be able to receive calls or messages from the blocking contact. It will block them not only in Google Hangouts, but also in Google Chat, Google Voice, and Google Photos.
If you choose to unblock someone, you will also unblock them in other services. You also won’t be able to text or call the blocked person. Calls and messages will be enabled in other messaging apps as well as through regular phone calls.
You can block a person in a Google Hangouts group chat. However, this will not remove them from the conversation. No one in the group chat will be notified that you are blocking someone. You won’t see notifications of your messages in the group, but they will see yours. Other people won’t be affected; they’ll still be able to see all the messages.
Even if you blocked someone, you can still join your group’s text chats. If they try to join a group video chat, they can’t. They will also get a notification that someone in the conversation has blocked them.
How to unblock in Google Hangouts
Anyone can make a mistake and accidentally block someone on Google Hangouts. That’s not a problem because you can unblock them before they even know it. You can unblock someone at any time by changing your mind. Here’s how to unlock a computer:
- Visit the Google Hangouts page on any browser.
- Select the burger menu and click “Settings.”
- Then select the Blocked People option to see a list of all the people you’ve blocked.
- Finally, find the person you want and unblock them.
- You can also unblock your Gmail video contacts from the list with the same name (on the left side of the Gmail screen).
Unlocking on mobile devices
Unlocking people in Google Hangouts is different for Android and iOS devices. Here’s how to unlock a person on an Android phone or tablet:
- Launch the Hangouts app.
- Then click on the burger menu.
- Then select Settings and select the Google account you’re using.
- Finally, tap Blocked Contacts and find the name of the person you want to unblock. Tap the unlock button.
Locking on the iPhone and iPad has a few extra steps:
- Launch the Hangouts app.
- Select the burger menu.
- Open Settings and you’ll see a list of blocked users.
- Select the name of the person you want to unblock.
- Then tap “More” and then “People.”
- Select the person’s name again and then click “Unlock User.”
Locking up is easy
In real life, contacting people sometimes doesn’t help, but in Google Hangouts it’s possible. You don’t have to put up with rude behavior; lock the person out immediately.
Have we answered all your questions about blocking or would you like to know more? Tell us about your experience with Google Hangouts in the comments section below.